Week-end update

Saturday, February 12, 2011

I decided to start posting a week-end update every week that will be worth it :) A humble beginning for this week but here we go :

***

Cover art

The Sacred Band by David Anthony Durham

David posted the US cover (work in progress from Doubleday's edition) on his blog this week. The Sacred Band is Durham's third book in his Acacia trilogy. I just realized that I completely forgot to write my review of The Other Land which I listened to in audiobook last year... Anyway, the final novel will be released in Fall of this year. I like the illustration itself (with the dragon even though it seems they are less popular since they are so often now labeled as cliché) but the font... could be way better.


***

The maps index was updated with the map for Peter Orullian's The Unremembered world (gorgeous stuff and interactive on his website) and the map for the Shadowmarch saga by Tad Williams.

Orullian, Peter
The Vaults of Heaven (The Unremembered)
http://orullian.com/vaults/map.html

Williams, Tad
The Shadowmarch lands
http://www.shadowmarch.com/world.htm

***

Books received

I'm already half into The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie and so far I'm quite impressed that the author could actually put off a novel centered around three days of battle of such quality and make it so exiting. Speaking of which, Joe posted on Orbit his list of best fantasy battle scenes from movies. It's called Ingredients for a Fantasy Battle and it's clearly worth a look.

Since I've not received The Crippled God and the official UK release is February 22 (should receive it a couple of days later in Canada), I switched my priority in my to-read list and will pick up The Unremembered next. The hype machine is in full motion for this title, pushing it as the next great epic series. I hope it delivers.

On the audiobook front, this week I got Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch and The Broken Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin. Since Jemisin's audiobook is only 11 hours, I'll start with it, having finished Shadowmarch yesterday (I'll post my review soon).

That's it for now. Have a nice week-end!

0 comments:

a Fantasy Reader All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger