2013 Gemmell Legend awards winners

Saturday, November 2, 2013



The David Gemmell Legend Awards 2013 winners were announced on Thursday.

My picks for this year were: Mark Lawrence's King of Thorns for the Legend, Miles Cameron's The Red Knight for the Morningstar and Didier Graffet and Dave Senior for the cover of Red Country by Joe Abercrombie for the Ravenheart.

Here's the press release link, and the winners:

2013 RAVENHEART AWARD FOR BEST FANTASY COVER ART
Didier Graffet and Dave Senior for the cover of Red Country by Joe Abercrombie (Gollancz)


2013 MORNINGSTAR AWARD FOR BEST FANTASY DEBUT
John Gwynne for Malice (Pan MacMillan)

2013 LEGEND AWARD FOR BEST FANTASY NOVEL
Brent Weeks for The Blinding Knife (Orbit)

Congrats to all the winners!  Brent Weeks, The Blinding Knife was indeed very (and most importantly very popular in the genre), Graffet and Senior covers will always be hard to beat (it's their second win, the won in 2010 for Best Served Cold) and I haven't read Malice by John Gwynne, but I'll look into it.

What do you think?  Did you vote this year?

2 comments:

Antonakis said...

I think the results were a bit expected. If I remember correctly and am not mistaken, my votes were:
LEGEND award: LAWRENCE, Mark - King of Thorns
MORNINGSTAR award: LAWRENCE, Mark - King of Thorns (I think...)
RAVENHEART award: I voted probably for the cover of Stormdancer or Besieged or Red Country... I can't honestly remember which one...

About the RAVENHEART award though, I have to comment that I was very very disappointed with the shortlist. The longlist contained some really good covers that were worthy of entering the final shortlist but probably were left out due to lower popularity and media coverage. A lot of very interesting covers were also completely left out of the longlist! But what really irks me is that especially for the RAVENHEART award, the voting is skewed by the impression of the novel and the covers are not purely judged on their own artistic merit. Am I the only one who thinks so? I'd really like to know other people's opinions on this subject, not only for award-votings but on general apprehension of covers.

Antonakis said...

Oops, I made a small mistake here as I was copy-pasting the titles from Gemmell's site. At the MORNINGSTAR award, I meant to type: AHMED, Saladin - Throne of the Crescent Moon

a Fantasy Reader All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger