Hugo category for the bloggers?

Wednesday, March 7, 2012



If you are following the SFF blogosphere, you are probably aware of Stefan's post on Far Beyond Reality and on Justin's Staffer's Book Review about the curious situation in which the Hugo Awards find themselves when we look at the future possibilities of the eligibility criteria for the Best Fanzine and Best Fan Writer categories.

The SFF blogs may not be eligible next year... Stefan is not the first to mention the incongruity of removing 'us' from the possible winners, however, he brings a good point: if we can't be nominated in the Best Fanzine\Best Fan Writer categories to preserve the traditional fanzines, why not create a new Best Blog category?  The SFF blogosphere is now a force to be reckoned with in the SFF literature talk world and I would say that it has become the best source of information! 

There you have it, I only wanted to share this topic with you as several other bloggers have done.  If you don't give a damn about awards, no harm done but if you are interested in helping or are big fans of SFF blogs and want to nominate one of them, now is the time, head on to the Hugo Award page. More importantly, here is an extract of Stefan's post:
So! Enough with the speechifying. I’m hoping that enough fans and bloggers and authors will include their favorite blogs in the Best Fanzine category. Personally, I’m putting only blogs on my ballot. I’m hoping that at least a few of the best ones will make it to the final ballot. And I hope that one of them will win the award. 
Aside from the Fanzine/blog category, you can also nominate individual Fan Writers. Things are a bit more straightforward and less exclusive there: you can nominate anyone who writes about SF&F in any format. Including bloggers. You don’t have to use a Xerox machine to be eligible for Best Fan Writer. So, if you have a favorite blog, you can nominate “Aidan Moher” or “Adam Whitehead” under Best Fan Writer as well as “SF Signal” or “Staffer’s Musings” under Best Fanzine. Even if blogs don’t count anymore in future years, you can continue to nominate the people behind the blogs in the Best Fan Writer. 
It looks like a few people have put my name on their ballots in this category. I am very flattered, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart, but I want to make it clear that I’m not asking you to nominate me here. I’m asking you to support your favorite bloggers. If that’s me, great. If not, also great. Just support your favorite bloggers, whoever they are. Buy a membership and nominate them.

1 comments:

Justin said...

Thanks for posting this Phil. High fives all around.

a Fantasy Reader All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger