Updates - Weeks, Jemisin and Abercrombie

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Some interesting tidbits surfaced in the last two days concerning Brent Weeks, N.K. Jemisin and Joe Abercrombie.

***



First, if you have a Facebook account (hum... who doesn't anyway...) you can take a peak at the first three chapters of The Binding Knife, book two of the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks.  The author posted the chapters on The Black Prism Facebook page.  The novel is set for release in Fall 2012.

The Binding Knife excerpt.

***

Lauren Panepinto posted another nice cover art this week for the Orbit release of the third novel in the Inheritance trilogy by N.K. Jemisin, The Kingdoms of Gods.  The cover was drawn again by Cliff Nielsen with the same kind of city art with a face on the background.



Here for the Orbit page.

***



Finally, Joe Abercrombie posted an update on his next project (another stand alone in the same universe), for now titled (working name) Red Country (maybe with an 'A' before...).  Here's a glimpse of what he's talking about :

So I’ve finished the first draft of the second part of my latest masterwork, workingly titled, ‘A Red Country,’ or possibly just, ‘Red Country,’ we will see on that score.  For those who have failed to follow this blog religiously for the past few months (shame on you faithless scum), it is another semi-standalone set in the world of The First Law, and fusing fantasy elements with western elements, in the same way that The Heroes was a fantasy/war story and Best Served Cold fantasy/thriller-ish.  That puts me about 40% of the way through a first draft, though I suspect there’ll be a fair bit of work to do once the first draft is complete.  Isn’t there always?  Now the terrifying wait for feedback from my editor and readers while I try and sort out what exactly I’m going to do with my next part.  I guess one could say that if Part I was a little bit Searchers then Part II rolled into Lonesome Dove territory and Part III has something of a Deadwood/Fistful of Dollars motif.

2 comments:

Bets Davies said...

Who doesn't love a fusion fantasy? I'm not way up on my Westerns other than the obviouses such as The Magnificent Seven, and who doesn't adore Deadwood? The was a freaking awesome undertaking that, like most freaking awesome undertakings, got cut off in it's prime.

Making his character more of a shit--one of the biggest things I value from grad school, whether it was Victor Lavalle tutoring in literary fiction, or, weirdly, memoir with Elmaz Abinader: Make your characters at least somewhat shits. No one likes an angel. No one is an angel. We generally relate more to shits, as most of us have a shitty side as well.

His process feels foreign to me, as I am now the kind who plans and a half before I even start writing, but I'm intrigued.

Joshua Lowe said...

I got The Black Prism for Christmas last year and your cover is much nicer than mine. I feel stooged!

a Fantasy Reader All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger