Round of covers

Monday, March 28, 2011

Some interesting covers surfaced on the blogs in the last few days, staring thieves and author quotes by Brent Weeks. Here's a round-up :

***

A couple of months ago, I posted the cover for the second book of The Necromancer Chronicles by Amanda Downum, The Bone Palace. While I found the art to be interesting for that particular novel (Larry Rostant is the artist and it is published by Orbit), I'm not so sure about the follow-up, Kingdoms of Dust. I think it has to do with the eyes, looking too much like an edited photo of a model in a magazine... less interesting than the previous slick and gorgeous cover art. Anyway, that's just my taste for a cover.


***

Pat at the Fantasy Hotlist posted the cover for Steven Erikson latest novella, Crack'd Pot Trail. While I truly loved the first three novellas set in the Malazan universe, I'm not sure I'll pick up that title. The story being a kind of metaphor about authors vs critics feel less appealing (and the slightly deceiving reviews that came with it). Now as for the cover art itself, Beauchelain and Korbal are back in the US edition (even though they seem to have less spotlight in this book), which is closer in style with the omnibus edition of the first three stories. The second pic is the UK cover art.



***

Next up a trilogy (called Ancient Blades) written by David Chandler. I didn't know the name before reading about the title at The Wertzone. Chandler is a new pseudonym for horror writer David Wellington. The UK cover art could almost be used for an Abercrombie novel... however I think that the quality is not as good (though not bad). Head on to Adam's blog for the US edition cover art.


***

Finally, Graeme posted the US and UK covers for Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick. I'll let you go to his blog for the US cover but among the two of them, I would clearly choose the following UK edition. That's the kind of cover where you would expect to see the infamous hooded figure :)


0 comments:

a Fantasy Reader All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger