Malice by John Gwynne on hiatus

Thursday, January 9, 2014


It's not often that I put down a book I have started, even more so when I'm a hundred pages in.  In fact, aside from books I have put aside for a while since it didn't fit my mood after a couple of chapters, the last book I put down and reviewed was Lord Foul's Bane by Stephen Donaldson back in 2009.  However, I really didn't like Donaldson's book and it's not really the case with Malice by John Gwynne.  I may pick it up later.

So, why am I putting it down?  Mostly because of expectations.  The book won the 2013 Morningstar Award for best Fantasy debut and that's when it caught my attention (this and the fact that I received my review copy at the same time).  So far, I can't say that I was compelled by the characters and the setting and story is generic Fantasy, which is far from being a flaw. The novel tends to feel more YA than I thought (I had some doubt about from the comments of the community) and it may still grow on me, it's probably not the right moment for me to read it.

0 comments:

a Fantasy Reader All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger